Why Peppermint Is My New Favorite Oil

I've always known the amazing powers of peppermint oil. I mean, what kind of educator would I be if I didn't? Peppermint is widely known for it powers to boost concentration and enhance memory. That's why I was always melting peppermint wax in my classroom to boost concentration, enhance memory and help students stay focused. What I wish I had known all this time is that peppermint oil was a saving oil for my oldest son, Camden.


A little back story on Camden...he has battled headaches since he was five years old. If he gets too hot, too tired or too anything really then he'll get a pounding headache. If we don't catch it right away it becomes unmanageable in an instant and he starts vomiting, causing the headache to worsen even more. It's a horrible cycle because when I give him medicine to help the headache and he vomits soon afterwards I'm in a dilemma. I never know how much of the pain medicine absorbed into his system or how much he lost. I don't want to over medicate him by giving him another full dose but I know he lost some of it and when he's hurting I hate to make him suffer.

So let's fast forward to this morning when I discovered I have been carrying around 15ml of miracle in a bottle. We're visiting my parents for Christmas and while packing the car there was a fleeting moment that I almost didn't bring my essential oil tote box. I only considered not bringing my oils because our car was filled to the top with clothes, gifts and groceries but ultimately I knew I would regret it if I left it behind. So Tim found a spot in the car for the oils and I'm so thankful he did! This morning at 5 am Camden woke up with a scorching fever and complained that his head hurt. I gave him Tylenol right away and three minutes later he was vomiting. A light bulb went off in my head and I ran downstairs to grab my bottle of peppermint oil. I remembered then that peppermint oil is also used to relieve headaches, sooth an upset stomach, relieve allergies and congestion and reduce a fever all naturally! 

I rubbed three drops of Young Living Peppermint essential oil onto his feet to get rid of his fever. I then wet a wash cloth with cool water and added three drops of peppermint oil. I rubbed the wash cloth over his back, his neck and on his forehead. Within three minutes he was back to being sound asleep and when he finally awoke at 9 am he had no fever and no pain. If I wasn't a believer before I certainly am now. The peppermint oil lowered his fever, relieved his headache and soothed his upset stomach all naturally...and he could throw up as many times as his body needed to without losing any of the healing benefits of the oil! So from now on when I'm asked "What is your favorite essential oil?" you can rest assured my answer will be a resounding PEPPERMINT!!