Holiday Drinks with Essential Oils

The holidays are here and I have to say that this is by far my most favorite time of year! Being that I have two small boys at home, it goes without saying that the holidays and hot chocolate go hand in hand. This year my boys have enjoyed adding essential oils to their hot chocolate and I love it because I know they're getting the added health benefits. Then I can help convince myself that it cancels out the chocolate, right? 

You can add oils to any chocolate recipe or mix but I've added the recipe for my family's favorite hot cocoa mix below. As with all oils, make sure you're using glass cup. If you're not a hot chocolate lover don't fret because I've included some ways to use essential oils with coffee and apple cider as well. 

Hot Chocolate Mix
  • 4 cups powdered milk
  • 21.8 oz box Nestle Nesquik
  • 16 oz instant coffee creamer
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (you can adjust this to taste. I like it a little less sweet and this amount is perfect)
Mix all of this together in a big bowl. (Trust me on this one!) Pour into a storage jar or canister. To make a mug of cocoa, fill it with water or milk and heat in the microwave. Add 3-5 heaping tablespoons of mix to the cup and stir well.

Orange Hot Chocolate
Add 1 drop of Orange essential oil to your hot chocolate serving.

Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Add 1 drop of Peppermint essential oil to your hot chocolate serving.

Apple Cider
3 quarts Apple Cider
5 drops Colve oil
5 drops Cinnamon oil
8 drops Orange oil
2 drops Nutmeg oil

Allow to simmer, add oils and garnish with orange slices, cinnamon sticks and/or whole colves.

Cinnamon Orange Coffee
Add 2-3 drops each of Orange and Cinnamon essential oils to your pot of coffee.